Théâtre de Beaulieu
The Théâtre de Beaulieu, the largest theatre in Switzerland, first opened its doors on 19 November 1954. At that time in Lausanne, it was what the Olympia is to Paris: a symbolic venue where the most striking stars of the second half of the twentieth century were always to be found on its stage. The research for creating this hall was entrusted to the architect Marcel Maillard. On the evening of its grand opening, the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande took to the stage under the baton of its conductor at the time, Ernest Ansermet, with the assistance of pianist Clara Haskil. At the end of the concert, the chief conductor of the OSR publicly gave his unreserved approval to this theatre, praising in particular its acoustic qualities and the elegance of its proportions.
The theatre, under renovation since the summer of 2019, reopens its doors in September 2022. Audiences will enjoy even greater comfort and optimal reception conditions for national and international productions.
It now has 1,623 seats. All stage technology has been updated, including the installation of a motorised technical grill and a lighting bridge in the ceiling. The acoustics of the hall were also the subject of a specific study and a concept was developed with acoustic engineer Eckhard Kahle, from Kahle Acoustics. The shape of the new ceiling, raised for greater sound amplitude, the creation of a conch to accommodate the orchestras as well as the installation of active acoustics in the hall, will allow its acoustic potential to resound in full
Conservatoire de musique de Genève
François Bartholoni, a music financier and generous patron, provided Geneva with the first Conservatory established in Switzerland, which opened its doors in September 1835.
During its first year of operation, the institution, which included Franz Liszt among its teachers, taught at the Casino de Saint-Pierre, which it occupied until 1858, before joining the famous purpose-built building on Place Neuve.
Bartholoni's goal was to develop musical taste and practice in Geneva through quality basic education; however, from the end of the nineteenth century, the educational programme increased remarkably. The virtuosity classes were created in 1900 and continued to grow, led by renowned teachers.
However, despite the focus on studies that had become professional – in 1971, the Institution was reorganised into two sections, the School of Music (also including drama classes) and the Conservatoire Supérieur, the latter integrating, from 2009, the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland – the Geneva Conservatory will always remain faithful to its primary mission which, from the same year 2009, is carried out in close collaboration with the other schools of the Confederation of Geneva Schools of Music and provides the youth of our canton with a musical and theatrical training of high quality that is constantly evolving.
Join the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande at the Conservatoire de musique de Genève for a small chamber music program! Recently restored, the Conservatory has a superb hall - the Franz Liszt Hall - with state-of-the-art acoustics.