In 2003, violinist Richard Schmoucler took up the challenge of forming an ensemble that combines conventional classical music with traditional eastern European folk. He brought together five fellow musicians from the Orchestre de Paris, the Orchestre National de France and the Orchestre de l’Opéra de Paris, along with a pianist, a cimbalom player and arranger Cyrille Lehn to create Sirba Octet.
The Sirba Octet have performed at renowned concert halls and festivals in France and abroad. These include: Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Théâtre de la Ville, Shanghai Concert Hall, Amsterdam’s Concertgebouw, and Vienna’s Musikverein, among others. They have also appeared for longer runs at Théâtre Mogador, L’Européen, La Cigale and Espace Pierre Cardin in Paris.
Sirba Orchestra! is a meeting between the Sirba Octet, a symphony orchestra and a balalaikist. An anthology of the most beautiful themes of gypsy cabaret and klezmer music!
- Richard Schmoucler, violin & artistic director
- Laurent Manaud-Pallas, violin
- Cécile Grassi, viola
- Claude Giron, cello
- Bernard Cazauran, double bass
- Philippe Berrod, clarinet
- Christophe Henry, piano
- <font face="GTEesti-Bold, serif"><span style="letter-spacing:0.5px"><strong>Alexeï Birioukov, </strong></span></font>balalaïka
- Cyrille Lehn, arranger